Monday, March 12, 2007

More from Oncologist #2 and Next Steps

OK - so Oncologist #2 just called - I didn't get everything right yesterday ;-)

Still I get to keep my uterus a little while longer. Will post this on the blog too...

- Sarcoma before they become invasive will not spread through lymph nodes, after they become invasive, they do like any other type of cancer. Before they become invasive, they just do the jumping thing, so there is a small chance that the uterus and lymph nodes have some cells in them, much higher chances in the uterus. However, if it is still early, they will just jump somewhere from there and grow a tumor (over the next 1-5yrs). Timing is still unknown so I don't know how long I will get to keep my uterus. I will have other discussions about this with the oncologist but she was much more positive about the timeline after talking to the tumor board.
- So definitely, leaving the cervix in is probably not a good idea since it's full of cancer...but my oncologist is definitely positive about letting me become pregnant before performing a hysterectomy and she's more positive about me keeping my ovaries. She thinks that chances that they are affected now are probably actually 1%, and it might go up to 8-10% if I wait with the uterus in. However, she sounded really encouraging about the fact that I was so unbelievably lucky with timing that it will probably be OK (remember, the usual treatment for this type of cancer is radical hysterectomy + removal of tubes + ovaries + lymph nodes in the pelvis). Only in some really early cases, do they leave the ovaries in place.

- They still can't believe that I was experiencing symptoms (bleeding), in general, they start at much later stages, which is why initially, she panicked when she heard that the other oncologist was fine with leaving the uterus in for a little while longer.

- I am starting a cycle (harvesting/freezing eggs/embryos) just as an insurance policy. The oncologist thinks it's a good idea anyhow since this cancer is so rare that there might be things it will do that no one is expecting, and there is no data about this on the cervix (only in other parts of the body).

- It is not hormone-sensitive so pregnancy will not increase the risk of cancer spreading

- There is a special program for women with cancer that have to undergo surgery to get access to fertility treatments at much lower rates (as opposed to 1,000s of $$)
- I need to talk to a psychologist at the fertility clinic, apparently usual procedure for all women in my case
- They are scheduling an appt with the director of the fertility clinic (an internationally renowned expert!) to discuss pregnancy after trachelectomy
- Need to go to the REI clinic so they can start medication and I need to learn how to give myself some shots. Will be a lot of ultrasounds in the next few weeks. Surgery will happen afterwards (for the cervix portion)

Onward and forward!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://eekshop.com
Finally all your family should focal point all around the amount of cash You not only can they want for more information regarding compare going to be the rates concerning hundreds available on the internet furniture stores enough where you find a multi functional company that has to offer you competitive rates on going to be the furniture that they allow you to have consumers. This is that easy for more information about are limited to so that you have going to be the continue to use relating to going to be the aimed at your web.?How can I childproof my very own a fresh one?

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home