Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Play at a recital and recite at a play?

Hello cosmic powder friends,

My regular OB/GYN (who performed the first surgery, the -polypectomy) called earlier this week. She asked about the various recommendations. She seemed happy that I had some frozen embryos ready for the microwave, she talked to me some more about the surrogate mother program, tried to address some of my concerns there. She said that she couldn't really help me in terms of recommendations because cancer wasn't her specialty . She did say that getting pregnant wasn't worth my life, just in case this was the choice that I was facing...

My medical insurance company left me a voicemail on Friday. I just returned their call. It was to their customer service department and I got to speak with the sweetest nurse in the galaxy. She called me because the company got notified of my upcoming surgery and she wanted to make sure that I was OK, that I had all the information I needed, that I felt comfortable with my team of physicians and see if she could do anything for me.

They have special services to help patients cope with the stress of surgery (I am not in the least stressed, it's the only time when I get to sleep all day...). She asked if I preferred the CD or the cassette format for the "relaxation program" audio guide. I shouldn't listen to it in the car as it has a strong narcotic power. She will call me back one week after the surgery to make sure that I am doing OK.

How bizarre. This changes my view on insurance companies being an administrative hell, with a production line for every type of claim that randomly tosses forms as a yield management method. I am a little surprised as this is the third surgery I am having in the past few months (one as outpatient and one as inpatient) and I never received a call like this before. What's so special about this one? Do they do this only for amputations? Or have I finally become a national celebrity in the medical field?

Anyway, I guess it's always nice to receive a call from someone who wants to send you a CD.

I went to the Symphony with Nathan last night to listen to a recital performed by Murray Perahia. Some Bach and romantic pieces. I liked the emotion that he gave to the Bach pieces, although I wasn't a fan of his use of the pedal for those pieces. It lacked some of the purity that I would expect. The romantic pieces were phenomenal.

The day would have been just perfect if it wasn't for a stomach that got a little upset. All is fine again now.

It was nice to be out and renew with music. I haven't played the piano for the longest time (3 years I think) but I am still totally in love with music, and I could listen to Chopin all day long...Still haven't made a decision about next steps (eg. try most aggressive or least aggressive approach now). A friend e-mailed me "there is nothing more wonderful than the birth of your own child".

I haven't experienced this but I am tempted to agree...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home