Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ordered Vials!

This was the other profile that I liked at the Cryobank, kind a good mix between analytical and creative skills, and someone who seemed "human and real" to me. However, one of his paternal uncles was diagnosed with diabetes at age 35, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't taking an extra risk. This guy had over 20 vials, about 6 min before the bank closed.


From an MD trained in genetics:
"Based on the information in your e-mail, his opinion is: the risk of diabetes to offspring is so small that it's not worth factoring in to a reproductive decision. His reasoning is that the type of diabetes that the paternal uncle has is different than that of the maternal grandmother. The diabetes in the uncle is genetic, and it's onset is usually preceded by exposure to a virus. While the uncles diabetes has to do with genetics, the odds that his nephew/niece's offspring will develop this type of diabetes is quite small. The diabetes in the 83 year old grandmother is not hereditary, and poses no risk at all to the offspring of her grandchild. "

*************************

I cancelled the order I placed last week (since it was insurance and the cancellation fee wasn't too bad, compared to the price of the vial ;-)) and replaced it with the architect since diabetes in this paternal uncle was identified as not being a risk.

The clinic said that they accepted up to 6 vials so I ordered the max just because I want to max the chances of this cycle working, so if 1 or several vials turn out to be unusable, there will be som eother options. Everything that's unused this time around can stay frozen...

I didn't want to purchase extra vials since this is really an insurance policy (plan W) - if I did want to have another insemination cycle (as I would use fresh eggs), I will probably want to select another donor at that time. Hopefully, there will be plenty of time...Even if it happens after the trachelectomy, I think that I will have to wait for 2-3 months. Definitely more time than 2 days. And if I can't find anything better, since the donor that I have isn't retired from the program, I could try to order some more later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home