Sunday, April 01, 2007

Mystery Oncologist ;-)

So...the reason why I switched oncologist is because I had a hard time trusting what oncologist #1 was telling me. Here are some examples.

a) "I don't believe that there is enough information to say that this is cancer" he says looking at the pathology report that states "sarcoma". He finally agreed that this was cancer...
b) "It's just an outpatient procedure" - and the nurses tell me that he has booked a room for 2 days for me...so clearly my overnight stay was planned ahead
c) "I got all the tumor out" - later the Stanford oncologist says "there was no clear margin on your last surgery which means that the tumor has not been removed, there are still tons of cancer cells left in there. And in any case, the MRI cleary shows that the cancer is all the way up the cervical canal, so no, the bulk of the tumor may be out, but we need to remove a lot more before we can say it's out"
d) "I am going to have to remove your cervix and your lymph nodes" - oncologist #2 is saying "I want to do this trachelectomy but let's try to keep your lymph nodes until the hysterectomy. It should definitely help w/ fertility. Right now, there's 1-8% that they are affected. We will monitor closely and see if we need to change this"

Weird huh?

*********************
I got an email from oncologist #2

"There are many people doing gene profiling of tumors in the research setting here including myself. Dr. so and so has a particular interest in sarcomas and if we have enough tumor tissue to save I can give him some. Not sure what we will do with the information but it is certainly potentially useful to have.
Also I would want to wait at least 3 weeks after your retrieval procedure to do your surgery."

**********************

Hey, I don't know about that last shot. It's super sore, feels hard and looks swollen. I might call in to double check and make sure this is normal. I seem to support the antibiotic pretty well which is good news (I can certainly do without nausea!)

OK, I checked with the nurse and the soreness, hard on touch, swelling and redness is not uncommon for this type of shot. Apparently it has some proteins in it and that's what's causing this discomfort. No big deal.

Also, those hormones put your weight completely out of whack. I am eating less than usual and I think that I have put on some weight. I talked with an aunt of mine who had this procedure done a few years back. She also put on a lot of weight during the treatment for no apparent reason so all hormonal driven and had to go on a diet afterwards. The "no exercise" bit is not very helpful there!!!

Fortunately, this is ending soon!!! Harvest is tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home